Field Compass #75.246
Brass Field Compass with extendable and removable sights, levelling bubbles for both N-S and E-W planes, brass protective cover for the 14 cm. diameter glass-enclosed compass, a thumbscrew operated needle damper on the underside, and a socket for attachment to a Jacob's staff.
The Jacob's staff, pictured at left, consists of a steel-shod wooden pole surmounted by a brass ball-and-socket, as shown at the right, which permits the compass to be levelled when the base of the staff is set in the ground.
The compass is reputed to have been brought to New Brunswick circa 1850, and was used by James A. Barter (1841-1928) of Avondale, running property lines. The compass is marked "Bakewell, Birmingham," which would indicate a much earlier date of manufacture, probably prior to 1840.
Richard Bakewell, Loveday Street, Birmingham, England, flourished between 1797 and 1826, making mining compasses, rules, surveying tapes, etc. It appears Bakewell was acquired by Isaac Trow in the late 1820s as Trow is noted as being on Loveday Street between 1830 and 1837. Whether Trow continued using the Bakewell name is unknown.