A small table, top 34 x 16¾ inches, 29¼ inches high at the midpoint of the back rail, with a single, wide drawer, .Of mixed wood species, butternut and pine, the stock was hand-planed, scraped instead of being sanded smooth, and the frame assembled with forged nails.
Slight mismatches in the turned back legs and the drawer knobs indicate the table is probably the handiwork of a very competent local carpenter, although not a skilled turner.
The table bears no signature or maker's mark, but the style and workmanship suggest it was likely built expressly for the old Court House, probably by a resident of Upper Woodstock, perhaps Hezekiah Stoddard circa 1834.
While the drawer face is joined to the sides with precisely fitted dovetails, the drawer back meets the sides with simple butt joints, secured, again, with forged nails. Mortises were cut into the drawer front and sides, into which the chamfered bottom, cut from a single wide board, was inserted, the bottom fastened in place by being nailed to the underside of the drawer back.
The drawer front tapers in thickness, from 7/8 to 3/4 of an inch from end to end. The remainder of the components are uniform, although thicknesses vary among them. The back rail, for instance, is 5/8 of an inch thick, while the table top measures 11/16.
The table was used at the old County Court House at Upper Woodstock, then brought to the new Court House building on Main Street, where it continued to be used for many years. The table is sound, with no damage other than a coat of dark varnish stain which obscures the original finish. This should be easily removable.