Wood Boat # n/a
Scale model of the Brunswick Lion, 1 inch = 1 foot.
In the 1800s, woodboats sailed the St. John River, carrying lumber from the various mills along the river to the port of Saint John for export to markets overseas. Ten or twelve woodboat loads were required to fill the holds of a large square-rigged vessel. The last woodboat was condemned in 1930. A full-scale replica of the Brunswick Lion, length 36' 9", beam 13' 3" , and hold depth 5' 1½", was built at Kings Landing, and presumably is still in operation.
William Crossley (1903-1980), a native of England, but then a resident of Canterbury, N.B. at Skiff Lake, learned wood carving while in hospital at Saint John, where he was undergoing treatment for tuberculosis, in the late 1950s. Later, while working as the storekeeper of the general store at Kings Landing, Bill borrowed the blueprints of the Lion, and by 1978 had created this detailed scale model.
Raising the hatch cover reveals Bill Crossley's name, and the date, on a small wood plaque affixed to the bottom of the hold.